Sun and sea, perfect combination. Lignano is the ideal seaside destination for summer holidays, chosen every year by Italian and foreign tourists from all over the world. The beach of Sabbiadoro is one of the most beloved and popular beaches on the coast … but what to do in case of rain?
ACTIVITIES TO DO FOR A RAINY DAY IN LIGNANO
Lignano gives its best when the weather is nice, but there is no shortage of activities to do and entertainment even in case of rain and uncertain weather. The territory that hosts it and surrounds it is indeed full of attractions and leisure opportunities, as well as beautiful beaches. Both families with children and adult or older couples can easily find something nice to do in Lignano when it rains.
Let’s take a look at some ideas and tips for enjoying a perfect…rain-proof holiday!
TRIPS AND SMALL EXCURSIONS
A bad weather day is undoubtedly the perfect opportunity to visit the most beautiful cities of art not far from Lignano, easily reachable by train and public transport.
- PORTOGRUARO – Known as the ”Little Venice” for its canals and ancient buildings, Portogruaro is characterized by arcades that run through the centre as well as by the renowned Archaeology Museum, perfect to visit even with children.
- CONCORDIA SAGITTARIA – Built in 42 BC on a site inhabited in the Neolithic since 3000 BC, Concordia Sagittaria is one of the most notable historical sites in eastern Veneto. Today, you can visit not only the excavations, the Basilica, and the Baptistery, but also the museum and follow the archaeological route through the roads of the city.
- VENICE – How to deny yourself a day in the wonderful Venice? The clear sky will not ruin the charm of the “calli”, the canals and the entire Venetian lagoon, rich in history and timeless charm. In case of rain, you can book a visit to the Museums of Venice. From the Galleries of the Academy to the Peggy Guggenheim collection: you will be spoiled for choice!
- UDINE – City of bookshops and taverns, with a mysterious name and many faces, Udine is both popular and refined, both convivial and cultured. Capital of the medieval Homeland of Friuli, its most ancient history is confused with legend that wants Attila to be the master of the Castle hill that still dominates the historical centre. There are many museums and wine places to visit.
- TRIESTE – Regional capital of Friuli Venezia Giulia, Trieste is known and appreciated for its glorious Hapsburg past and for the medley of languages, peoples and religions that still today characterize it. What to visit? Obviously, Piazza Unità d’Italia, the Revoltella Museum and the wonderful Miramare Castle, together with the typical “osmize” for an original lunch break.
RELAXATION: INDOOR POOLS AND SPA
In case of rain in Lignano, what could be better than a long relaxing day? Those who don’t want to give up the pleasure of a swim can take advantage of the opening of the Olympic-size swimming pool of the Bella Italia EFA Village. The facility offers two pools, the largest measuring 50 x 25 m, the other one measuring 25 x 12,5 m, both indoor and air-conditioned: they will reopen to the public from Juli 4th. Click here for more information.
Whereas those who love to immerse themselves in the warm thermal waters can take advantage of the thermal baths of Lignano and the Mésségue centre, where to enjoy a relaxing massage or a beauty treatment and spend an hour of total relaxation surrounded by a team of professionals in a modern facility directly on the beach.
Studies prove it: shopping has a positive effect on mood. Then go ahead for a tour of the shops, malls, and outlets in the area in case of bad weather!
Like any small self-respecting sea-town, Lignano, in its central streets, offers all kinds of shops and boutiques. There you will find endless types of clothing, accessories, and footwear as well as souvenirs and food and wine gifts. In addition, every Monday from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., near the G. Teghil municipal stadium, the weekly market of Lignano, also reachable by city bus, awaits you.
Is it not enough for you? The Adriatico 2 shopping centre in Portogruaro is about half an hour’s drive from Lignano, while the Città Fiera in Udine, one of the largest shopping centres in Italy, about less than an hour, with 250 stores and all types of world fusion restaurants. If, on the other hand, you are on the lookout for super bargains on designer clothes the Noventa di Piave Designer Outlet and the Palmanova Outlet Village are the right places to go! Real luxury Mecca at affordable prices.
WINE AND CUISINE
Do you find shopping boring? If the weather is not the best and you want to taste the specialities of the area, we offer you an interesting tour of the wineries in eastern Veneto! The territories not far from Lignano boast a long winemaking tradition. The history of the wines of the Veneto hinterland dates back to Roman times and has been handed down to the present day thanks to the association “Strada dei Vini D.O.C. Lison Pramaggiore,” which organizes food and wine tours in the cellars of the area and is able to combine culture, landscapes and tasting of excellent wines.
The wine, symbol of the area, is Lison DOCG, but it is not the only one to be produced. In the wine cellars around Lignano you can also taste: Cabernet, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Malbech, Merlot, Rosè, Refosco from the red peduncle, Prosecco, Sauvignon, Spumante, Verduzzo, Verduzzo made from raisins and many others.
FOR LITTLE ONES
For children but also for adults the amusement arcade is a funny way to spend part of a rainy day. Every year the arcades of Lignano are renewed and new games and videogames are added. In addition, several arcades offer racetracks for kids, who can speed along on small racing cars, saloon cars and motorcycles. Open from morning until late evening, they enrich the main streets of Lignano with colours and lights and they represent a happy island during dull or rainy days.
In case of uncertainty in weather you should absolutely visit the beautiful Punta Verde Zoo Park of Lignano. Children will be delighted, but even the older ones will be able to enjoy nature and the company of animals housed in this zoo. Among the specimens in the park, you can admire the Siberian tigers, the ring-tailed lemurs, the red panda, the snow leopard, and many other specimens coming from all over the globe. The plus? You can give, to your little ones, a close encounter with lemurs, giraffes, sloths, or Seychelles tortoises. We invite you to visit the official website of the Lignano Zoo Park, where you will find more information about timetables, prices and activities.